Monday, January 27, 2014

Baseboard beginnings and a few personal notes

First of all, a note:

Dearest Ryan,
This weekend rocked progress-wise because of you. You're the best!!! We owe you. A LOT. Lots of lots.
Love love love,
N, A, & A

---

With the door frames all done (at least the vertical pieces) it was on to the next item on the Before Carpet Install list: baseboards. N designed a tall base, made of of two pieces - a 5.5 inch basic square piece with a ~1 inch moulding on top. The result is a hefty and lovely baseboard. I know I keep saying this about every step in this project, but adding base is another That Makes Such A Huge Difference item.

Before:
Now (not yet an After, so I guess you could call these pics During):
And just for kicks, here is the same shot as the one above, taken in mid November.
Can you see how much taller the new trim is? I wish the photo above could show the quality of the trim before. It was thin and dingy and beat up. It actually looks kinda nice, albeit dark, in that pic. Photography tricks, I tell you!

Anyway, more Now:
As usual, the photos do it no justice. It's sharp and substantial and classic. Love it.
The below pic shows the two pieces well. It's neat how, once installed, it immediately looks like one big piece.
Can't wait to see more of it go up!

In other news, bathroom light fixtures arrived today...the packages I had to rescue last minute from a lonely delivery in Brookside last week. Toilets, sinks, and new kitchen faucet also arrived today. Wohoo!
Cadet Pro. Hehee. Toilet names are funny. And as long as we're showing photos of the garage, say hello to Demo Debris Mountain.
Poor Cozy Coupe. Sooo dusty.
Miss A cried when I told her she couldn't get in it this afternoon because it was too dirty. :(

More contractor progress was made today in the baths.
New kitchen faucet install tonight, hopefully.
More baseboard progress tonight.
More vanity painting tonight, too (we decided the doors and drawers do in fact need a third coat).

Off the subject, but I have started actively gathering nursery decor and supplies. I think the realization has sunk in that I'm going to have perhaps only a matter of days to get things together, and the more I have done in advance the calmer and more enjoyable the process will be. I indulged in a couple brand new newborn outfits last week, ordered a piece of artwork last night, and Newborn sized diapers might have leapt into my Target cart today. I have notes, mental and electronic, about what might go where and what still needs to be purchased or organized or identified. Here's hoping the little lady is welcomed into a home and a room that feels as comfy and lovingly prepared as the one we brought her big sister into.

And finally, I have enjoyed this almost-daily diary of our project. Much more than I expected. I'm not sure if it's boring or too detailed from the readers point of view, but I know it will be something we as a family are glad we took the time to document. Oh, if we had a diary like this about the kitchen/bath remodel from our old house! It would have made fantastic reading for anyone wanting a guaranteed fretful nights sleep.

Typing these details out and documenting our steps somehow feels therapeutic. It surprises me how much I end up sharing, especially when I think I barely have anything to update and considering I do 100% of the publishing with my thumbs and iPhone Blogger app. 

Thanks for humoring me. And for reading.

Xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment