Monday, July 28, 2014

Glaze fun

I completed A's table and chair set up last week by finally finishing the table. Here is what it looked like before:
And here it is now. The chair desperately needed painting, but the table was in okay condition and a nice black color, so I wasn't as sure about taking a brush to it. What pushed me over the edge were the other furniture pieces in A's room. Her biggest, darkest piece is the crib, and I wanted that to stand out. Not an old black cheap side table. I like how the set now blends in while still looking fresh and new.
I used a glaze for the first time, which turned out well. I had read about and seen examples of how a glaze can give a painted piece of furniture a little depth, so i thought this would be a good time to try it. Here is the table top after prime and paint. Pretty basic.
And here is the top after I glazed it with a pre-tinted glaze (it was labeled mocha in color). It kind if muddies up the finish and settles into the lines and imperfections. 
It's not a big difference, but I really like the way it turned out. Glazing was super easy - brush it on all messy and willy nilly, wait a minute or two, then wipe off 90% of it with paper towels until you get the look that you want. A few times I wiped off too much, so I just glopped on more glaze and started again.
A exclaimed "taybuh! Yay!" when I brought it back upstairs, and N said it looked like a piece of fancy furniture from a store. Considering we already had the paint and the table, I'll take those compliments and run with them for the cost of a $15 bottle of glaze.

Another little project checked off the list. :)

Photos from this morning of the princesses...

Happy Monday. :) Off to Great Grandma's house tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment